According to Forbes.com, there are about 28 million small businesses in the United States and about 543,000 new businesses are started each month.
Succeeding in this industry is not a walk in the park, yet so many small businesses gain a great deal of loyalty from consumers. Those of us at 212 Media Studios are no exception as we truly #LuvSmallBiz.
What do small businesses have that larger corporations do not? How do they do it? Why should we intentionally support small businesses? I asked around the office, and came up with these 10 reasons why we love small business:
- I’m not just a number. —Nearly everyone
Nearly everyone I talked to mentioned something like this. Small business employees are generally very personable; many even remember your name. They are very good at making us feel important because… well… we really are important to them. And who doesn’t want to feel important and appreciated?
- “I like the face-to-face interaction and customer service that comes after the sale.” —Scott Feather
- “Small businesses help support the local economy upon which we all depend.” —Jeff Secaur
- “Their creativity. Small businesses tend to be more willing to try new things, take risks, and find better ways to meet the individual needs of their customers. Small businesses can take something so mundane and make it a unique experience.” —Leilani Squires
- “When I have a problem, I have someone to talk to.” —Nate Manahan
- “I like that small businesses give us a chance to build relationships. We can get to know the people we are buying from.” —Dustin Hickle
- “I like to give to small businesses because I am supporting their efforts and the sense of the American Dream.” —Bethany Alcock
- “I use small businesses because I either met the owner/manager around town, or I have a friend who knows them.” —JT Jacobson
- “I like the scaled down size, the nostalgic feeling, but also the change because the norm is now corporations. I’d like to see it go back to small businesses being the heartbeat of America.” —Kayla Garza
- “Small businesses are considered the underdog of America, and I love rooting for the underdog and seeing them come out on top.” —John Swanson
There are plenty of reasons to fall in love with small business. Everyone has their own reasons, so what are yours? Why do you #LuvSmallBiz?