So, there I am surfing the “inter-webs” looking for cool companies to follow on Facebook. Then it hits me—a big, blurry cover photo and a profile picture that doesn’t fit its little box. My eyes blur slightly and start to burn. A wave of anxiety washes over me. Of course, this internal anxiety couldn’t be seen by anyone around me, so I had to keep it cool.
I took one more glance at the page. It belonged to yet another local business trying to build a presence on Facebook, recognizing the importance of social media. But this business was using Facebook poorly.
Clicking on the Facebook button in the top left corner of the page, I returned to my newsfeed and felt some relief. But, I couldn’t get that image out of my mind. I felt a responsibility to show them what they were doing wrong and how they could improve their page.
If your page isn’t properly formatted, it reflects negatively on your image. When I observe a bad Facebook page, I instantly think, “If they don’t take time to post quality content on their page, how can I expect quality work from their business?”
Here are five simple tips to improve your Facebook page and help your customers have a positive impression of your business:
- Maximize Your First Impression with a Branded Profile Image. Your profile image is the first thing Facebook users see. Because it accompanies all of your posts, it should represent you in a simple, clear, and concise manner. We recommend using your logo. Our page displays the 212 Media Studios icon. It’s equally important for your profile image to fit properly. In its settings, check the box that automatically scales the image to fit the space (assuming it’s bigger than the 180×180 pixel dimensions). Go to Edit Profile Image>Edit Thumbnail>Scale to Fit. And presto! It fits.
- Let Your Cover Photo Tell Your Story. Once your clever posts and useful information prompt people to click on your page, make sure their visits are memorable. Encourage them to come back again and again. They should be greeted with a visually pleasing image that tells the story of your company. For example, the 212 Media Studios cover photo depicts a Superman-like character revealing his inner brand. This is because we specialize in helping businesses identify their brands and tell their stories.
- Describe Yourself Clearly and Concisely. It’s important to create a clear and well-written description of your business on your page. Editing this description is easy: Simply click on the current description, and you will be whisked away to your “About” page, where you can edit it. Include things like your mission, when you were founded, and other pertinent information.Here are few guidelines for your description:
– Be direct and concise. Tell them what you do, but don’t put them to sleep.
– Don’t be a machine. Showing your personality helps people connect with you because you naturally seem more approachable and believable.
– Use buzz words. If your company revolves around a few key words, use them—as long as they aren’t technical jargon that your audience may not understand.
- Customize Your Facebook URL. A custom URL like facebook.com/212MediaStudios is much easier to find than facebook.com/pages/1242355yef46. If your page still has a URL similar to the latter, it is time to upgrade!
- Check Your Notification Settings. Social media requires quick responses. What better way to make a good impression on customers than by responding to their comments and questions promptly? This simple act screams, “You are important to us! We are a fan of you, just as you are a fan of us.” Talk about maximizing your potential return on investment (ROI). To serve your clients in a timely manner, your notification settings must be set up properly. On your Facebook page, find the Admin Panel and click Edit Page>Manage Notifications. Then, update the notifications as you see fit.
Let’s recap together. Anxiety attacks do not lead to return visitors or ROI. To avoid giving people said anxiety attacks, evaluate your Facebook page and make a few simple improvements. These small changes can make a world of difference!
Social Media Director
Learn more about Dustin!
About 212 Media Studios
212 Media Studios is a full service marketing agency, based in Warsaw, IN. Providing services such as SEO, social media management, print marketing, branding, and videography, 212 Media Studios specializes in helping businesses of all sizes catapult their marketing and brand awareness to the next level. To learn more about 212 Media Studios’ services visit our services page or contact us with special requests or for more information.