If you have used the Internet at all, you have certainly gone looking for something. How do you find whatever it is you are looking for? Why, Google of course! After you have typed in your search “query,” Google presents you with a list of sites that probably match your search terms. How great would it be to be on this first page of results?! Of course, that’s what Search Engine Optimization is all about. So, how do you get onto page one of search results?
A client of ours recently received an unsolicited fax claiming the following:
Get on page one of Google within 30 days for 4 or 8 keywords
Stay on page one for as long as they are signed up
This would be awesome. Being on page one of Google is gold. Even if the keywords you are ranked for isn’t searched very often, it can still result in a lot of business. (If you’re setting a goal or looking for a keyword to optimize for, shoot for at least 1,000 monthly searches.) When someone wants to find something on the Internet, odds are that they will go to www.google.com and type in their search term. Google (and Bing or Yahoo!) are fantastic resources for Internet users and businesses everywhere. But, there are some things you should know when you want to be found on these search engines.
- There is only one way to get on to page one of Google and stay there with absolute consistency: paid advertising. (Blog post coming soon on this, and I’ll post the link here.)
- Google and Bing pay attention to what sites link to you and what sites you link to. There are people who will link to you if you link to them. If you check an “info” email account (i.e. email@example.com), you may have already received one (or several) of these requests. These types of requests are dangerous. Not only could these “partnerships” help you in the short run, they will definitely hurt you in the long run. These “deals” almost always get flagged as spam or some other illegitimate means of advancing yourself. The short(ish) version? This is not good.
- Search engines pay attention to buzz on social media. How much are people talking about you, your brand, and your products or services? How many people interact with your brand on a regular basis? Do people like and share posts from your site on social media? Regardless of what you believe about Facebook or Twitter, these are important (and highly trafficked) mediums when it comes to connecting with your customers.
- Search engines want to see original, quality content. If you are copying what someone else has already written, writing poorly, or keyword stuffing, search engines won’t believe that you have something good to offer the people searching. And, if you don’t have something good to offer, why should you rank on page one?
So, what’s the bottom line? There is no super fast way to get onto page one of Google. If you are really serious about ranking on page one, start with this list:
- Choose three to four keywords. Whenever you’re doing something on your site or social media, think about these keywords. Even though you may not be doing anything exactly related to these, keeping them in the forefront of your mind will help keep you focused on it and help you reach your goals.
- Get on social media and start posting regularly. Get interactive with your customers. (If this is really daunting to your or you just want someone else to do it, 212 Media Studios can help you out!). Continue to think about your keywords in this process.
- Build out in-depth, quality content. It’s going to feel like you’re giving away the store of knowledge you have worked so hard to build, but there’s a give and take here. People recognize when a company truly is a leader in their area or passionate about what they do. As such, they’ll trust you. As you already know, that’s where profitability starts.
- Start blogging. Our Media Specialist, Dustin, wrote a great blog post about blogging to help you get started.
- Be patient. People finding you through search engines and you improving your ranking takes time. You may need to wait for weeks or even months before you start to see return on your investment. Remember though, this is a long term investment and the results are long lasting. Don’t give up and keep on truckin’.
So, what are you going to tackle first? We’d love to hear what you find is most effective for you. Having a hard time getting started? Get in touch with us and we’d be thrilled to help you develop and execute an SEO strategy that suits your needs.
Content Management and SEO Specialist
Learn More About Toby!