Content development is a key ingredient for a successful inbound marketing strategy. But let’s be honest. You can write the most amazing content, revise until it’s perfect, and establish a fail-proof strategy for getting your content out there. You can do everything right, but unless you know who you are writing for and to (your target persona), you’ll miss out on attracting loyal customers.
If you don’t thoroughly understand who your content is for, you won’t be able to effectively write. To help you better identify your target persona, answer these questions before writing another word:
- What is the age range, gender, and geographic location?
- How much do they typically spend on your kind of products?
- What else do they buy?
- How do they think?
- What do they think about?
- What do they desire most?
- What do they need?
- What problems do they encounter?
- How can your business solve their problems?
- How can you make it easy for them to respond to your message?
- How do they prefer to receive communication?
- Where do they “hang out” or go to get their information (websites, blogs, social media, etc.)?
As you write, keep all these details in mind. Be careful to choose the appropriate vocabulary, style, and structure that will best communicate your message to this demographic. Anticipate and visualize how they will react to your message.
Resist the temptation to feel like this research is a once-and-done deal. Some things will stay constant, but stay alert and sensitive to when trends and patterns change.
Don’t be surprised if writing to your audience seems difficult at first. Keep revising until you get it right. Rest assured it will get easier the more you do it.