So you have started a website for your business and are looking for original content to put up on it. Because of your devilish good looks and charming smile, you could make some videos—but you don’t have a quality video camera, so nevermind. You could post a couple of stylish pictures a day to show off your artistic side—but you don’t have a good camera either, so that’s out of the question too.
One day at a coffee shop, you notice all these twenty-somethings typing on their laptops. You wander over to them, drawn in by the sound of their fingers flying over the keys. You peer over the shoulder of one of the shorter ones and see he is just typing onto a blank document. What on earth could he be doing? The young man turns around, pushes his glasses up on his face and gives you a quizzical look.
“What are you writing?” You ask him.
He rolls his eyes and responds with an exasperated, “My daily blog post, duh…”
“… A bl… A blog? What on earth is that?” You ask yourself as the man turns around shaking his head. You quickly run home and search the internet for “blog” and are astounded by the amount of results that turn up! After reading about the many benefits of blogging, you decide to start writing blog posts for your website. What a perfect way to create original content!
But how do you get started? Here are ten ways to start and make a habit out of blogging:
- Start typing. You cannot write a good post without starting.
- Make a daily habit of writing. It does not have to be published, but blogging (and writing in general) will come easier if you do it daily.
- Write about topics which are interesting to you, and relevant to your business.
- Do your research. You don’t want to look like a fool in your posts.
- Shorter posts are more likely to be read completely, but lack real content. The opposite is true of longer posts.
- Proofread your posts. Nothing turns someone away from your blog faster than tyops typos.
- Publish posts at the same time every day (or week, depending upon how often you post).
- Promote your blog. When you have people who want to read your posts, it will make writing easier.
- Ask for feedback. What topics do your readers want to read?
- Don’t give up. No one likes to go to a site and see that it has not been updated in months.
Blogging is a difficult discipline to get started, but it is a great way to drive traffic to your site. Be personable with your posts, and make them interesting. That will keep your readers coming back. Have you tried blogging? Tell us about it!